Friday, February 26, 2010

One on One interview w/Res by Sumaya @ inspiracao/ Coracao

Thursday, February 25, 2010




Her music is fresh.
Her sound is unique.
Her name is Res.

No, she is not an up and coming artist. This well established rockstar has had a slew of undying fans for almost a decade (myself included) and many are waiting for her to get the spotlight she deserves. For others, the first they heard of her may have been through her group with Talib Kweli, Idle Warship. I recently got a chance to catch up with the woman who showed that BLACK GIRLS ROCK!!


Now personally, i love music that either fits into many genres, or none at all, and your music is just that to me. How would you describe your music?

LAURYN HILL MEETS FLEETWOOD MAC


When did you start singing?

WHEN I WAS 8YRS OLD, ALTHOUGH MY MOM SWEARS SHE HEARD ME IN HER BELLY.


Your debut album came out with Golden Boys, one of my alltime favorite tracks. Was this the first album you made, signed or unsigned?

YES, MY FIRST DEMO'S MADE UP 4 SONGS ON THE ALBUM. IVE KNOWN THE GARDEN, THE HUSTLER, SITTING BACK AND TSUNAMI WERE ON MY FIRST DEMO TAPE.


Tell us about the collabo with Talib Kweli. How did that come about? Are you guys still in Idle Warship together?

YES WE ARE IDLE WARSHIP. IT CAME FROM ME WANTING TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND WANTING TO ROCK SOME PARTY SONGS.


You recently released Black.Girls. Rock! Tell us about the album. Favorite Track on there?

ITS VERY PERSONAL, VERY ME IN THE MOMENT, AND THE PAST. FOR WHO YOU ARE IS MY FAVORITE SONG, MUSIC AND RECORDING EXPERIENCE.


Any upcoming projects?

I JUST RECORDED AN ACOUSTIC EP CALLED BARE, 6 SONGS, ME AND DANOPHONIC FROM PHILLY ON GUITAR AND GREAT TUNES.


Are you planning to go on tour?

I'M TRYING TO GET ON THE LILITH FAIR TOUR BUT OTHER THAN THAT I JUST DO ONE OFF SHOWS HERE AND THERE.
MARCH 6 I WILL BE AT THE DAKOTA INN
MARCH 12TH 4TH STREET BAR IN BROOKLYN
MARCH 15TH PHILLY WORLD CAFE
MARCH 21ST DC


You are all about your fans, any one who goes on your pages can see that, way before alot of artists used twitter as a venue to start doing that. When did you start being so interactive with your fans?

WHEN KWELI BECAME TWITTER KING AND WHEN I REALIZED THAT PEOPLE ARE LISTENING THEY JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME...AND I WANT THEM TO FIND ME!


You also went on tour with Gnarls Barkely, how was that experience?

AMAZING, I SAW PLACES IVE NEVER DREAMED OF SEEING AND THAT ALONE HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. MET AMAZING PEOPLE AND ROCKED SOME INCREDIBLE STAGES WITH A GENIUS NAMED CEE LO GREEN!


Any affiliation with the black girls rock inc?

NO, BUT I KNOW BEV BOND AND I THINK WHAT SHE IS DOING IS AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment